On our way to achieving a flawless complexion, acne is one of the main enemies we often have to face. Defeating that enemy is not an easy thing to do. There are so many types of acne, different types of scars acne can leave… but today we’re not here to give you the whole science behind acne. You had a pesky pimple? It’s gone now but it left a dark spot behind? And now you just want to know how to get rid of that mark – fast? Then this blog post has you covered!
These dark post-pimple marks are a very common thing to get. It’s a natural reaction of your skin as it tries to heal from the damage that pimple left. Basically, the inflammation in your skin causes a higher pigment production. That’s why a darkened spot appears where the pimple was. The fading of these dark spots usually takes weeks or even months. That depends on several aspects like your skin tone, your skin type, your age etc.
So you have to wait for months until your skin is clear again? No! Here are 5 tips on how to help acne marks fade quicker:
Don’t pick at them, treat them
Like with many things in life (and in skincare), prevention is key. If you treat your pimples correctly, you can tone down or even prevent those dark spots. Did you know that many Korean celebs are running to the next dermatologist for treatment as soon as a pimple pops up? That’s likely not the kind of solution you thought of. So here’s an alternative which does not involve professionals: pimple patches. Pimple patches are highly popular in Korea because they’re effective for treating pimples, yet super affordable and easy to use. Those patches are small transparent stickers coated with active ingredients to extract the impurities of the pimple, reduce the pimple size and prevent inflammation. You usually use them overnight. But since they’re transparent, you can also wear them during the day. They also prevent you from touching the pimples. A little extra tip: Use the patches as soon as you feel a pimple coming – not when the pimple is already huge and painful! The earlier you patch them up, the little impact they will leave on your skin.
Protect it with SPF
We know you’re probably sick of us reminding you to put your SPF on at all times. You still haven’t picked up this habit? Then you have another reason to do so now. Without sun protection your acne marks can darken further. Hence, the fading will take even longer.
Go for a spot brightening treatment
You did everything right so far – treated the pimple correctly and applied your sunscreen – but the dark spots are still bothering you? Then you might want to actively lighten them. And don’t worry, we’re not talking about skin bleaching here. Instead we’re talking about skin-safe ingredients that have great skin brightening functions:
- Vitamin C: This power ingredient is known for its brightening properties. Hence, it’s found in many K-Beauty products. Vitamin C is able to keep excessive pigment production at bay and thus, helps your skin to brighten up. We recommend to spot treat your dark spots with a Vitamin C product. So that the lightening action is focused on those darkened areas only.
- Liquorice extract: Liquorice also has skin brightening properties. It can both prevent further pigmentation and help fade it. It’s often found in skin brightening peelings.
- Niacinamide: That’s a form of Vitamin B3. And it’s probably the most popular skin lightening ingredient in Korea. You find it in many, many, many K-Beauty skincare and make-up products. Since a very fair complexion is part of the beauty ideal in Korea, so-called whitening products with Niacinamide are on high demand. Those whitening products are used to lighten the whole complexion, correct discoloration, treat age spots and – obviously also – acne marks.
Peel it away
Generally, using a peeling regularly helps you to get to blemish-free skin. Among all types of peelings, the so-called chemical ones are especially popular in Korea. They usually contain AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) or BHA (beta hydroxy acid). Both AHA and BHA promote skin cell turnover. They help peel away dead skin cells, form new skin cells and thus resurface an even complexion.
Try out a scar fading mask
There are quite a bunch of homemade masks that can help to treat and fade acne marks. Here are two of our favourites:
- Aloe Vera gel mask: Aloe Vera has wound and scar healing properties. We especially recommend this mask if you’ve been under the sun all day. Because this mask additionally works against sun damage. How to mask: Take the Aloe plant. Break off a leaf. Gently rub the Aloe gel on your acne marks. Leave it on for 15-20 min. Rinse everything off with lukewarm water.
- Papaya mask: Papaya has skin lightening properties. The enzyme papain, along with AHA, acts as a powerful exfoliator. So that dead skin cells are effectively removed for clear skin to resurface. How to mask: Take the fruit pulp of a ripe papaya. Blend it into a homogenous paste. Apply it to your skin (or just on the acne marks). Leave it on for 15-20 min. Rinse everything off with lukewarm water.